Post Graduate Council
The Orissa University First Statute 1990 clause (252) provides for the following: (1) There shall be a Post-Graduate Council in the University headed by a Chairperson. All the Heads of the Departments of the Post-Graduate and Under Graduate Departments of the University and the Warden of the Post-Graduate Hostels, shall be members of the Post-Graduate Council in their ex-officio capacity.
The Chairperson of the P.G. Council shall be appointed for a period of two academic years by the Vice-Chancellor from amongst the Professors of the University on a seniority-cum-rotation basis. She shall exercise such powers and perform such functions as may be determined by the Syndicate from time to time.
The Chairperson shall preside over the meetings of the Post-Graduate Council, and in her absence, the senior most Professor shall preside over the meeting
Subject to the powers and decisions of the Syndicate, the Post-Graduate Council may perform the functions and discharge the duties in respect of the following matter:
Determination of general policy with regard to the Post-Graduate studies and research;
Determination of principles for award of free studentship and S.S.G. grants;
Student discipline and welfare;
Publication of magazines and prospectus;
Principles for selection of students for admission into different courses / departments and colleges subject to regulations, if any, framed by the Academic Council.
Principles of admission of students to the hostel and ensuring discipline;
Developing and sponsoring subjects/projects which are inter-disciplinary, inter faculty in character in collaboration with Industries, Departments and other Organizations.
Taking steps for establishment of schools of studies in different inter-related subjects and departments;
- Enforce the guidelines of the University Grants Commission issued from time to time on the subject of work and responsibility of teachers : and
Shall perform such other functions as may be assigned to it by the Syndicate or the Academic Council from time to time.
The Post-Graduate Council may appoint Admission Committee, Board of Residence, Discipline Committee
and such other Committees as and when necessary for each academic year.
Prof. Sasmita Mohanty
Chairperson, P.G. Council
Email : pgcouncil(at)rdwu(dot)ac(dot)in
Rules for the P.G. Council
The following are the rules as regards the working of the Post-Graduate Council at RDWU :
- As decided, a Post-Graduate Council be constituted with all the Heads of the Post-Graduate and Under Graduate Departments, located in the University.
- The P.G. Council shall meet ordinarily once in a month besides emergency meeting as and when necessary. The notice for such meetings shall be issued by the Chairperson of the Council.
- The term of the Office of the Chairperson shall be ordinarily for two years; i.e. from 1st June of the 1st year upto 31st May of the 2nd year.
The Chairperson of the Post-Graduate Council will exercise the following functions through the University Office:
- Holding meetings of the Post-Graduate Council.
- Grant of C.L. to the employees of the University Office.
- Award of Free-studentship, help from the S.S.G. and any other financial help in accordance with the principles laid down by the Post-Graduate Council.
- Sanction of expenditure of contingency and other grants provided in the budget of the University Office.
- Distribution of general grants provided under the University Office.
- Issue of notices for submission of application forms for admission, holidays, suspension of classes on special occasions, for names to be struck off for non-payment of College dues, and other notices as may be necessary from time to time.
The following officers be appointed by the Vice-Chancellor on the recommendation of the PostGraduate Council, for the management of the Hostels in the University campus.
- One Warden selected from among the Professors as per Statute.
- Superintendents and Assistant Superintendents are to be appointed from among Professors, Readers and Lecturers respectively.
- The term of officer mentioned in (a) & (b) above shall be for a period of two years.
- The names of the teachers for holding the following offices be recommended by the Post-Graduate Council for appointment by the Vice-Chancellor;
- The Adviser of the Students' Council
- The Vice-President of the Athletic Club
- The Vice-President of the Cultural Club
- The Vice-President of S.S.G.
- POST-G The term of office of the Adviser and the Vice-President shall be for a period of two years.
- The University Office will continue to function under the overall control of the Chairperson of the Post-Graduate Council.
- All circulars relating to the examinations of the University be sent directly to the respective Heads of the Departments with a copy to the Head Clerk for record in the University Office, and that correspondence of general nature to be done by the Chairperson of the Council with the help of the University Office.
- The stock and store of the Departments be maintained by the respective offices of the Heads of the Department.
- The stocks and stores of the University Office be maintained by the University Office under the supervision of the Post-Graduate Council.
- Application for E.L. be sent to the University Office.
- Application for grant of C.L. of teaching and non-teaching staff in the offices of the respective Heads of Departments.
- The work relating to Sports and Games, N.C.C., the Students Council and Societies, be done in the University Office.
- The time-tables of the Post-Graduate and Under-Graduate Departments be prepared by the respective Heads of Departments under intimation to the P.G. Council.
- The collection of fees be made by the University Office.
- The grants relating to contingency and other departmental grants be sent directly to the respective Heads of the Departments on requisition, and that the Heads of the Departments shall be responsible for the proper maintenance of the Accounts.
- The Financial Estimates of the Departments be sent to the University directly by the respective Heads of the Departments.
- The Warden and Board of Residence of the Hostels will be responsible for the discipline of students residing in the Hostels.
- College Leaving Certificate and Conduct Certificates in the prescribed forms provided by P.G. Council be issued to the students by the respective Heads of the Departments on production of no dues certificate from University Office.
- The Head of each Post-Graduate and Under-Graduate Department will maintain the C.C.R. of the non-teaching staff in the Departments and submit the same to the Registrar for her remarks.
- The Head of each Post-Graduate and Under-Graduate Department will duly transmit the CCR/ PAR of each teaching faculty member to the Chairperson, P.G. Council for endorsement of the same by the
Rules for Departmental Teacher's Council
The Departmental Teachers' Council be constituted in each of the Post-Graduate / UG Teaching Departments of the University for promoting academic activities and maintenance of discipline in the Department. The following will be the functions and objectives of the Council;
- Every P.G. Teaching Department shall have a Teachers' Council consisting of all the teachers in the Department. There shall be a secretary, teachers' council who will be the convenor.
- The Head of the Department will be the Chairperson and shall preside over all such meetings.
- The Teachers' Council shall preferably meet at least once a month besides as and when necessary. Its decision shall be recorded in writing and shall be signed by all members of the Teachers Council attending the meeting.
The Teachers' Council shall have the following functions:
- It shall co-ordinate the teaching and research activities of the Department.
- It shall decide on the books and journals, equipment and furniture to be purchased for the Department, subject to the rules of the Library.
- It shall allocate curricular and extra curricular activities of the Department to the teachers of the Department.
- It shall prepare the Annual Budget and Annual Report of the Department.
- It shall prepare plans for the development of the Department and such plans shall be forwarded by the Heads to the appropriate authorities.
- It shall decide the manner of utilization of funds of the Department.
- It shall attend to the problems of the students in the Department and suggest remedial action to be taken, whenever necessary, by the Chairperson P.G. Council.
- In case of differences between the Heads of Department and majority opinion in the Teachers' Council of a Department, the matter shall be referred to the Chairperson, P.G. Council, whose decision shall be final.
- The Heads of Departments shall report to the Chairperson P.G. Council about the functioning of their
respective Teachers' Council periodically.
Disclaimer : This is the official website of Rama Devi Women's University, Department of Higher Education, Govt. of Odisha.The website is developed and hosted by National Informatics Center. Rama Devi Women's University, Govt. of Odisha is the owner of the website.
Copyright © 2021 rdwuniversity.nic.in
All Rights Reserved.